Reaction Shortboard Pro @ Boneyard - OFFICIAL RESULTS &

Archived threads with misc. info about individual comps in Season 2 2008.
Sally LaSalle
SL Name: Sally LaSalle

Reaction Shortboard Pro @ Boneyard - OFFICIAL RESULTS &

Post by Sally LaSalle »

Here are the Official results for the Reaction Shortboard Pro @ Boneyard.

Congrats to all the surfers who put on a great display of skilled surfing and rock dodging.

Ooo some explanations:
Color of the team name next to the surfer name indicates which team surfers' rank points were added for the team score blue is the 1st placed surfer for the team, red the 2nd and green the 3rd.
(for Reef Riders, the Captain did not select Fungus in their "5 scoring surfers" prior to the event hence his points weren't able to be used for this event)

Overall Team Placing's can be found at this thread http://www.surfslsa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=326

In light Blue are the semi finalists that didn't progress to the final. Their rank placing is calculated by adding their heat score with their semi final score to give them their overall event place. This is done to even out variations in sim conditions from one semi-final to another.

If 2 or more surfers have the same points they are equal rank (regardless of their order in the list)
☼☼☼☼☼☼
Sally LaSalle

Bobbi Laval
SLSA Surfer

Ouch

Post by Bobbi Laval »

Ouch, it is a bit of slap in face to beat someone in the semi finals in the same heat and then lose a position to them in results based on scores from prelims. Especially if notion is to even out affects of sim performance. Sim performance is never as good as the competition draws on, but lag spikes that affect a particular surfer on any given wave are somewhat more pronounced. If this is true then surfing in early heats is an advantage now. Isn't there enough left to luck of draw already? Looking at prelim scores and comparing them to semi final scores I think it is difficult to see any marked differences that could be attributed to sim performance. I am sure there were individual surfers that were affected by lag spikes and that is luck of draw.

Sally LaSalle
SL Name: Sally LaSalle

Post by Sally LaSalle »

Hi Bobbi, While I understand your particular case, the explanation in the post, was mainly for the benefit of newbies. Rank points have always been calculated this way for semi finalists for as long as I can remember. This isn't a new initiative.
Since semi-finalists that do not advance to the final do not have the opportunity to "surf off" against each other for minor placings it was, (since the very first slsa comp) rightly or wrongly, suggested that a combined score be used to effectively give a "7 wave" comparison of surfing performance on the day. In this case it has worked against you, but in another event it could easily work in your favour.
Cheers, Sal
☼☼☼☼☼☼
Sally LaSalle

Bobbi Laval
SLSA Surfer

Post by Bobbi Laval »

Oh Sally, sorry for the rant. I know, it can go both ways. I guess I did not realize it was this way. Seems I should know that being I have been in every comp since the beginning. Sorry again for my rant. It has worked both ways in the past now that I think about it. I really do appreciate what you and all the board does. Forget I ever said anything.