2009 Season 2 fixtures

Archived threads with misc. info about individual comps in Season 2 2009.
Abel Halderman
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Abel Halderman

2009 Season 2 fixtures

Post by Abel Halderman »

Hi all,

Season 2 this year is going to start with a challange. I think it will be fun and all surfers will be able to show their best in that comp.

We had 6 sims signed up, and 5 of them were chosen for the season competition spots. One is a backup.

So.. without further ado here's what, where and when we will compete in SLSA season 2 2009:

Mori Pwani
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Mori%20Pwani/122/208/22
August 15 - Round 1
epic, longboard
August 22 - Round 2
prelims - epic, longboard
semis – pipes, shortboard
final – fluffies, longboard

Sol Mananero Surf
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Sol%20Mananero/13/21/22
September 12 - Round 1
September 19 - Round 2
pipes, shortboard

Tsunami Beach
http://slurl.com/secondlife/TSUNAMI%20BEACH/236/124/21
October 10 - Round 1
October 17 - Round 2
Sunset, longboard

Azure Northwest
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Azure%20Northwest/26/129/22
November 7 - Round 1
November 14 - Round 2
pipes, shortboard

Montego Beach
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Sands%20Poi ... W/10/97/21
December 5 - Round 1
December 12 - Round 2
epic, longboard

Good luck everyone. Let Poseidon be with you. Let's have some fun!!!

Bonheur Chenaux
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Bonheur Chenaux

Re: 2009 Season 2 fixtures

Post by Bonheur Chenaux »

Hey guys and gals.. I just want to address the first comp of the season. I have had some inworld IMs regarding the format of the first comp. I will explain here for everyone to see.

We have heard a lot of talk regarding versatility and board type. The question of the difference between long and short and so forth. We decided to do something a bit out of the box this season and start off with a bang.

For those who are having trouble figuring out the format:

The preliminary round on August 15th, the entire comp will be on an epic surfing the long board.

Round two on August 22nd will be held on three different types of waves with board switch ups. The preliminary will be held on an epic surfing the long board. The semis will be held on a pipe surfing a short board. The finals will be held on a fluffy surfing a long board.

Yes, we realize this is not something that has been done before. This is a chance to show skill on all waves and boards within one comp. Lets see how it goes... I'm not skeered.. are you? Good luck to everyone! Lets have a great season!
Bon Chenaux
SLSA Director
Co-Captain Team Reef Riders

Robbin Ember
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: robbin ember

Post by Robbin Ember »

Hey you all, I just want to let you all know that Montego will not let you down...I just know when the tour comes to Montego that we will, well, we will, welll, hhhmmmm....we'll be rockin' all over the world, giggle, yeah, and I like it, I like it, here we gooooooooo rockin' all over the world, and we will...and just one more reference giggle...Got a beat up glove, a home made bat and a brand new pair of shoes...You know I think its time to give this game a ride...just to hit the ball and touch 'em all, a moment in the sun, itsssss a gone and you can tell that one goodbye...ahhhh, put me in coach, I'm ready to play today, look at me I could be centerfield...oh wow, put me in coach...Thanks...

Sean Azambuja
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Sean Azambuja

Post by Sean Azambuja »

puff puff give Robin! :)

Kohana Schimmer
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Kohana Schimmer

Post by Kohana Schimmer »

Sounds like some one put 'FUN' back in the game WOOT....

Congratulations to all Beach venues (especially my bff Robbin's, W2G girly) \e/

yours Swimmingly - KO <3
FINTASTIC FUN! Roll with the waves!

Sunshine Zhangsun
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Sunshine Zhangsun

Post by Sunshine Zhangsun »

Hooo! Jac and I are so looking forward to hosting the season's second competition at our venue, Sol Mañanero, in September! We are honored to have been selected as a comp venue and our hope is that you will all enjoy our beach as much as we do! Thank you!!!
\e/ :D \e/

~Sunshine~
"Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face."
Victor Hugo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunshinezhangsun/

Aurora Jacks
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Aurora Jacks

Post by Aurora Jacks »

Congrats to all sounds like a really great season is ahead!!!! Good Luck to all!!! B)

.....Robbin and Sean..... SHARE ~o)
xoxoxox Rory

*Always wear your invisible Crown*

monq Pinklady
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: monq pinklady

Post by monq Pinklady »

Wow Exciting Stuff ahead , Sweet!!!

Can't wait to dust off my boards..............
All in one comp, wow............should be Adventurous

Pinky :)o
Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do, it bears your signature.
Thich Nhat Hanh

Mons Pinklady

Abel Halderman
SLSA Surfer

Post by Abel Halderman »

Congrats all selected sims managers, owners and staff. You have great surf beaches there. And good luck to all surfers. I hope the first comp will be a blast, too. It's something new, and hopefully it will be exciting for both competitors and spectators.

cymindra deschanel
SLSA Surfer

Post by cymindra deschanel »

oh bugger. thats a bad start for me. am at my best mate's wedding on 15th. bleh lol

maldrul
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Maldrul Morris

Post by maldrul »

So, are the top 20 from last season already seated for round 2 of the first comp of this season? Or will the playing field be level?

Wickedv Carver
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Wickedv Carver

Post by Wickedv Carver »

Good question Mal!...we are working on it and should have an answer for you soon.
"you will do foolish things,but do them with enthusiasm"

Bobbi Laval
SLSA Surfer

Post by Bobbi Laval »

So is the playing field not level? I mean, not to say that the hard work and accoplishments from last season are the most important thing. I would think they should count for something though. But even more than that, we went to this format to solve problems that became apparent after first comp last season. So did those problems just magically go away? The first event each season is traditionally bigger than the first the previous season. Then what about seeding? Do we level the "playing field" there too? I just feel that we fixed a problem already, just see some potential problems if we decide to unfix them for the first event. And in the end, how much difference will it make? Do we expect that surfers that did well last season and the previous seasons won't do well this season? Do we expect that the best new surfers won't make it through?
Just my thoughts. Why break something that so much work was done to fix.

Wickedv Carver
SLSA Surfer

Post by Wickedv Carver »

You have a point Bobbi,,,but,,,theres always two sides to the coin. You are right about the hard work put in by those who made it to the top 20 and managed to stay there to the end,but this is also a new season and a clean slate for everyone...

Another thing...nobody is "unfixing" anything here,the format we followed last season is very much in effect for this season,we are just looking at every angle possible on how to make last season's results have no bearing on this one.

As with every sport,the beginning of a new season means new hope and a clean slate for everyone,but obviously here in SL we have different problems,like time. I say it again,we are looking at every angle possible but the format from last season is not being "unfixed"

Desirae Beaumont
SLSA Hall of Fame
SL Name: Desirae Beaumont

Post by Desirae Beaumont »

I had this discussion last night and I am not planning to start from scratch, besides the fact that the first comp will be a 60+ ppl competition.
You wanted us to help and be judge and whatever. I don't see how we can do it now.
And it's not true that in every sport the results of the last season won't count. Heats are set depending on the last seasons and everything will change after the first comp for sure.
There is no reason not to seat the Top 20 and have a qualifier as usual.
But you are planning something that will end in a 9 hour comp...sorry, not again.

This means that I am not planning to go through this again. I have a RL and a 60 ppl comp is ridiculous. Europeans will end at 4 or 5 am, if not later.

Good luck everyone

Mahalo,
-Des
Don't upset me! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies ^^

Wickedv Carver
SLSA Surfer

Post by Wickedv Carver »

Once again!...we are looking at all possible angles,it does not mean we are scratching the format followed last season.

KantbeThursday
SL Name: Kantbe Thursday

Post by KantbeThursday »

If I may, I'd like to add a perspective from the other end of the spectrum from those who have already proven they're the top riders in SLSA. I consider myself to be relatively inexperienced in competition, and a 3rd or 4th tier surfer. I placed 78th last season.

Weekend inworld time is difficult for me, so being able to have time for a competition is even more difficult. The changes we saw last season by letting us lower ranked surfers have a shorter prelim, rather than marathon comps that were getting longer and longer, contributed greatly to me finally being able to find a time when I could compete.

I'm sorry to see a change back to more like the older way before even giving the newer approach a couple of seasons to work out the kinks. I'm not the brightest bulb in the package, and I'm not sure if I completely understand this new approach, but it looks to me like it's back to the extended times for competitions. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to find a time I can compete again.

I appreciate all the work the Directors do on our behalf, and am not trying to second guess their rationale behind this decision. I may just have to go back to being and occasional, but enthusiastic, spectator again.

Kantbe Thursday
Reef Rider Pro (with the Pro part quickly fading away)
- Kantbe

Sometimes it's hard to find, but usually there really is a silver lining back there. Maybe that lining's frayed a little, but most of the time it's there.

Abel Halderman
SLSA Surfer

Post by Abel Halderman »

Ehmm... have the Board post any decision yet?

Robin Mapp
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Robin Mapp

Post by Robin Mapp »

just to set the formula straight and our thought process...we are not going back to the old way entirely, just for the first comp.

As in any other Sporting venue, Rankings and placements do not carry over from one season to another. Each season is a clean slate.

So our dilemma is...how do we make the first comp time efficent and develop this seasons top 20 in an equitable manner?

Our proposal was to have the first comp be the proving ground to start the top 20 seeding program.

I hope that makes more sense?

Desirae Beaumont
SLSA Hall of Fame
SL Name: Desirae Beaumont

Post by Desirae Beaumont »

They carry over in other sports, Robin.
But ok. You want us all to qualify, then let's face the same problems with competitions that will last hours and hours. It makes no sense for me not to use the final standings, but it seems that you guys need to change something.

I wish all competitors good luck and nerves. I will read the results in Surfwatch.

-Des
Don't upset me! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies ^^

Lissa Pinion
SLSA Hall of Fame
SL Name: Lissa Pinion

Post by Lissa Pinion »

I think we all need to step back and breathe...nothing wrong with taking a look at last season and hashing out what did or didn't work. The idea is to make it better and to fix what needs fixing and tweak what can be tweaked to make it better. Until a decision has been made, let's not over react. Breathe and surf...Surf and breathe. :D
Goddess of Very Little so Surf Love Laugh
Lissa

Wickedv Carver
SLSA Surfer

Post by Wickedv Carver »

What i like to know is,who said we were changing the formula from last season?

Bonheur Chenaux
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Bonheur Chenaux

Post by Bonheur Chenaux »

I believe that this is a misunderstanding in the word "format"... I think they are referring to the rank carrying to second season vs. starting over. I could be wrong. Feel free to correct me if I am.
Bon Chenaux
SLSA Director
Co-Captain Team Reef Riders

Colleen Brennan
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Colleen Brennan

Post by Colleen Brennan »

There is absolutely no reason why the format should be changed. The format of a by week for top 20 was designed to allow for the most amount of people to compete and have the greatest chance of winning from the lowest ranked on up.

The format was also put in place for efficiency purposes. Removing those 20 spots from the preliminary round frees those spaces for new people to participate. No one wants to compete in a 10 to 11 hour surf marathon in which most of your time is spent sitting on your hands. Additionally the format was designed to allow people to be free to help work the events and participate in staffing positions such as judge and marshal and other jobs they otherwise would have to choose not to surf in order to participate. The top 20 with a by week are available to help because of the by. the following week people who have not qualified are similarly suited to help and participate. in addition to relieving an otherwise over-burdened staff this system lets people get exposed to other levels of participation.

One of the greatest benefits of the format though is that it is most fair to new surfers.They are not forced to try to make the elimination rounds by surfing through people like wil and desi in their heat. They are more evenly matched to begin with. This is the most fair system for all.

In the real world surfers do not lose their ranking at the end of a year. they carry that with them. Real competitions invite top surfers and have an open format for others wishing to break into the top. We have emulated that with our format.

Abandoning it for the first comp would be a useless exercise in inefficiency. It also would be less fair to new people. It will make a competition interminably long and stress staff as well as participants. I can think of absolutely no reason to do this.

I am not stating this point of view from the vested interest perspective of someone ranked in the top 20. I am writing it as a former board member who fought hard to successfully implement the new format and keep surfing in Sl open to all who want to participate and fair to all. This league nearly collapsed under the old system which you are suggesting returning to. Even if for just one event it woudl be foolish to do so. that system is a proven failure once more than 40 surfers desire to participate.

I am imploring the board to think hard about this and consider all the cons to changing the format for even one event. I can see no pros.

I am guessing that some may be basing such a desire under the false premise that the top 20 have some special status and that is not fair. To this I simply respond that they have consistently over the course of a season demonstrated good surfing skills. BUT the top 20 group is anything but a static one. Look at last season. For one example bobbi went from bottom ranked to being in third place for the season. when she moved up someone else moved down.

There is no sacred permanent status. Those in the top 20 have surfed hard for their rank and will continue to in an effort to maintain it. One nice side benefit of respecting the ranking carryover is that, unlike other seasons, we actually had increases in participation as the season progressed. People who otherwise may have lost interest because they were out of reach of a top spot kept trying so they could keep their rank.

I realize I have dropped a long response on you. Here is the short version. I believe it would be unwise to drop the format for even one event. It is a proven success. Last season was the biggest in terms of participants. It is fair, look at SB's performance as an example. He went from rookie to nearly winning the entire season. The format is open to all and fair to all. It is efficient. it allows everyone to participate and has kept comp times to manageable levels.

This league was nearly destroyed in the past by the alternative of having everyone surf in round one. We have outgrown that. There is no reason to return to it. I do not want to see a return to registration speed being a surfing skill. I do not want to hear about the first 40 to sign up are the ones who can surf. We have come a long way from there and there is no reason to go back.

I also can not even imagine why anyone would entertain having potentially a 60 to 80 person preliminary round. We all love to surf but imagine being a European and already staying up to all hours of the night just to surf and then being told you are expected to stay there doing it for over 9 hours.

I have seen not a single idea presented to date that would make such a change in any way a good thing. So my question is why do it. I have listed many reasons not to.

All I ask is that you consider them.Unless you have something I have not thought of that somehow overrides all the negatives to not considering prior rankings, I would expect that wise people would choose to not disregard rankings.

Colleen Brennan
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Colleen Brennan

Post by Colleen Brennan »

One more thought: Since you are proposing discarding last seasons rankings then you really potentially mess things up. That means you will have a prelim round where all heats are randomly assigned. Exactly how does that make sense? What is the point of saying you have established a new top 20 when in the surf-in round perhaps you have had a heat with SB, Desi, bobbi, and Wicked, and Wil all in the same heat. Only 2 of them will advance.

You are between a rock and a hard place. You can not say you are not using prior rankings and then use them to seed the prelims. Since you will obviously have to use them or risk very uneven match ups you may as well use them properly and have a carry-over of the system currently in place.

The fact is that these rankings either count or they don't. So the question is why live in dream world and pretend that they don"t.

If I somehow manage to fight my way to a final I want to know I am surfing against the top surfers. Random heats in first round almost assures that will not be the case. Yet you cant use rankings to seed that round or you defeat the argument that there needs to be a start over for the top twenty because we all start at zero.

Lets us be logical and if something is not broken we don't need to fix it!

There are many negatives to abandoning prior rankings and yet no downside to keeping them. Anyone new or on a hot streak is in no way handicapped by the surf-in round. they simply excel there and then the next week can easily break into the top 20 buy good surfing and knocking out a top 20 surfer. That is the way it should be done.

Anyway, good luck everyone lets try to have fun this season and I am sure we can count on the board to see that making the mentioned change is a detriment and not a benefit to the league. Nothing wrong with sending an idea up the old flag pole to see if it flies though. I just don't see this one flapping.

Abel Halderman
SLSA Surfer

Post by Abel Halderman »

Sean Azambuja
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Sean Azambuja

Post by Sean Azambuja »

10-12 hr comps deserves strippers. just my 2c

maldrul
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Maldrul Morris

Post by maldrul »

OK, I only asked so that I would know what to expect at the preliminary. I am happy either way, but if it is going to be a long comp, I need to plan for it. Sorry if my question was controversial.

Abel Halderman
SLSA Surfer

Post by Abel Halderman »

The list of competition beaches this season has been changed due to one of the sims withdrawal: Kauai replaced Azure.

Mori Pwani
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Mori%20Pwani/122/208/22
August 15 - Round 1
epic, longboard
August 22 - Round 2
prelims - epic, longboard
semis – pipes, shortboard
final – fluffies, longboard

Sol Mananero Surf
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Sol%20Mananero/13/21/22
September 12 - Round 1
September 19 - Round 2
pipes, shortboard

Tsunami Beach
http://slurl.com/secondlife/TSUNAMI%20BEACH/236/124/21
October 10 - Round 1
October 17 - Round 2
Sunset, longboard

Kauai
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Kauai/77/88/23
November 7 - Round 1
November 14 - Round 2
pipes, shortboard

Knowhere/Doobie
December 5 - Round 1
December 12 - Round 2
epic, longboard

KantbeThursday
SL Name: Kantbe Thursday

Post by KantbeThursday »

Sean Azambuja wrote:10-12 hr comps deserves strippers. just my 2c

Sure, but are you an experienced stripper, Sean? :lol:
- Kantbe

Sometimes it's hard to find, but usually there really is a silver lining back there. Maybe that lining's frayed a little, but most of the time it's there.

cymindra deschanel
SLSA Surfer

Post by cymindra deschanel »

love the fly, Big Sis. tried to swat it off my screen 3 times.
on the serious side, fed up that i got grumped at last weekend. could be deeply sarcastic about the whole thing, but i still want to compete so i won't. suffice to say the participants (or more accurately participant) will know what i'm talking about.

*strained smile*

cymi