SLSA Special Elections

The place for your questions and suggestions.
Cierra Theriac
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Cierra Theriac

SLSA Special Elections

Post by Cierra Theriac »

Posted on behalf of the SLSA directors in the event that you did not receive the group notice in-world:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
***An SLSA Election has been called for****

This election is being called for the following reasons
1) there are not enough standing directors left to from a quorum in order to be able to appoint interim directors.
2) the next scheduled election is June 1st which is after the Neart Competition which would force the 2 remaining directors to run the compeition three directors short.
The elected directors will be elected for a full 6 month term in addition to the 2 weeks before June 1.

The question is-
Do you support having an election to fill the three open directors chairs vacated by Ritch Goalpost, Sierra Sugar and Carenahh Kuhh?

Please vote yes , I support the election or no, I do not support the election.
Submit your note card with vote to Radical Twang, Milo Voss, Poid Mahovlich, Rani Decosta and Carenahh Kuhh
You may use the same note card as your SLSA Candidates note card if you do choose to vote.
---------------------------------------------------
We have had three people express their interest to be on the SLSA board of directors. They are Sally LaSalle, Ashleigh Dickins and Colleen Brennan. Their announcements to run for this election will be posted on the forum. Since Sally has decided to run, Carenahh Kuu has volunteered to stand in her place receiving the votes.

Please submit a note card with your votes for SLSA director to Radical Twang, Milo Voss, Poid Mahovlich, Rani Decosta and Carenahh Kuhh by Saturday May 17th. Please make sure to drop a note card on all five of us.

PLEASE VOTE. While there are three open slots and three candidates running it is very important that the membership vote on these TWO important issues.

Mahalo
SLSA Directors
Radical Twang
Milo Voss
Note: Eligible voters are those surfers who competed in the last 2 competitions at Monkeh Barrel and Surfline.
Last edited by Cierra Theriac on Wed May 21, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abel Halderman
SL Name: Abel Halderman

Post by Abel Halderman »

Just one thing: one of the people collecting votes is Carenahh Kuu, not Kuhh.

Cierra Theriac
SLSA Surfer

Post by Cierra Theriac »

Thank you very much for catching that.

Abel Halderman
SL Name: Abel Halderman

Post by Abel Halderman »

Sorry to post on that again.
Note: Eligible voters are those surfers who competed in the last 2 competitions at Monkeh Barrel and Surfline.
I would rather say that: eligible voters are those surfers who competed in one or both of the last 2 competitions at Monkeh Barrel and Surfline.

Rule: (1) Competition surfers shall have competed in at least one SLSA sanctioned competition during the previous three months (i.e., election period) to be eligible to vote;

Cierra Theriac
SLSA Surfer

Post by Cierra Theriac »

Again, Abel you are absolutely correct. I apologize if I have confused anyone. Just trying to help out Milo and Rad (who are extremely overworked RL & SL right now) reach as many of you as possible. I know my group notice did not come through, so others must not have as well.

I will try to rephrase the original message to make this as easy as possible (truly it isn't a test).

Our beloved and beleaguered SLSA, for one reason or another, is down to 2 directors. Two directors do not a quorum make. It becomes difficult, if not downright impossible, to run the organization with only 2 directors.

The next set of elections to fill the vacated seats will not be until June. There is not a provision for how to handle this situation and it could cause the end of SLSA.

However, do not fear, there is a solution. We have a "modification to the rules" rule.
MODIFICATION OF THE CONSTITUTION:

(a) The Constitution may only be changed at a Special General Meeting of the Association, by proposals from the Executive Committee, or by proposals made by half of the members of the SLSA, such proposed amendment to be approved by a two-thirds (2/3) majority of eligible voting members.

(b) Changes to the Constitution shall be sent to eligible voting members not less than seven (7) days prior to the Special General Meeting.
That means that eligible surfers can vote add a "Special Election" rule to our constitution. And if our eligible competition surfers agree that we should add the new rule, we can elect new directors to fill the remaining terms of these vacated seats.

So here's the scoop:
If you competed (got on a board and in the water at the competition) at Monkeh Barrel in February, and/or Surfline in April of this year, YOU are an eligible voter. If you only competed at Majini in January you are not eligible to vote this time. Example: I was able to compete only in the Majini competition; I cannot vote in this election.

To vote, you need to go in-world and:
-create a notecard
-title it SLSA Special Election - "your SL first and last name"
-give your vote either for or against having a special election
-IF, you vote in favor of the special election, then list the persons you are voting for to take the vacant directors seats.
-Send your vote, via this note card to all 5 of the persons collecting the votes.

The issue we are voting on:
In the event that 2 or more directors resign or are unable to complete their term, a special election will be held. These directors elected during the special election will serve for the remainder of the term for the seat they have filled, until regularly scheduled elections are held.

We have 3 open seats. You vote for one person to fill each seat. The persons running for the vacated seats are: Sally LaSalle, Ashleigh Dickins and Colleen Brennan. If I can do the math correctly, if an eligible surfer votes for all 3 persons running, it will fill the vacant seats and there will be 5 directors again.

So, exactly what should you put on your notecard? Examples (feel free to copy):

If you wish to add the ability for the SLSA to hold a special or emergency election and to vote for the three volunteers to take the open seats-
I, (your SL first and last name), support the amendment to the rules for the SLSA to be able to hold special elections.
I vote for: Sally LaSalle, Ashleigh Dickins and Colleen Brennan
If you do not want the constitution to be amended and do not wish for special elections to be held, either at this time and/or ever -
I, (your SL first and last name), do not support the amendment to the rules to allow a special election to be held.
Obviously if you vote against the special election, you do not list any names to fill the vacant seats.

Don't forget to save your notecard. Then simply drag the notecard to the inventory drop (in their profiles) of:
Radical Twang,
Milo Voss,
Poid Mahovlich,
Rani Decosta and
Carenahh Kuu

It needs to go to all 5 to be counted. The active directors have extended the deadline to vote until Monday, May 19th 11:59 pm SLT. But to all you eligible voters, go in-world and do it now, while you are thinking about it.

Please forgive the informalness of this message. I only wish to help to make this clear and easy to understand. I believe I covered everything but, if you have any questions, please ask! Here is good.

:) Have a lovely day/evening whatever part of the world you are in.