???NON EPIC SCRIPTS ALLOWED???

This forum is for questions that individual members have regarding competitions sponsored by the SLSA. Ask away :)
Schrottvogel Wei
SLSA Surfer

???NON EPIC SCRIPTS ALLOWED???

Post by Schrottvogel Wei »

A customer of mine gave me a copy of a conversation. She asked one of the owners of ACTION a lot of things about their boards. bobn4uyes Winkler one of the owners told her defiantly that ACTION boards are allowed in the official SLSA comps.
Besides this, words were used like.... EPIC scripts.... Freebies scripts... Freebie animations... Laggy.... sucks... no support... and the whole list of boardshapers sucks too!

It its really allowed to use this scripts after the whole ... WE ALL USE THE SAME BOARDS ... discussion it would look the official SLSA rules really silly.
SCHROTTVOGEL WEI
SJA CUSTOMBOARDS & SURFWEAR

Radical Twang
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Radical Twang »

Good ol' bob at it again..
well I don't see how they'd be allowed, they have different animations, like handstand.. wouldn't that be the same as using gestures?

Cierra Theriac
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Cierra Theriac

Post by Cierra Theriac »

Geez it took me forever to find this...
Sierra Sugar wrote: And currently only Heather scripted waves and boards are used in SLSA events. If you edit your board, no matter who the board designer is the "creator" should be listed as Sebastian Saramago or Heather Goodliffe. We as board designers don't have our name listed as creator, only our signature style. :)

Hope that helps everyone when shopping for competition boards.
surfslsa.org Forum Index -> Competition Questions -> Board Sizes
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am

And from http://surfslsa.org/main/ (FAQ)
Q: What kind of board can I ride/use?
A: At this time, the only approved boards for competition are boards scripted by Heather Goodliffe. You must ride a longboard for longboard competitions and shortboards in shortboard competitions. If boards are provided for a competition, you must ride on a competition provided board. Anything else is grounds for disqualification. If you have any questions, please ask one of the board members.
A change to this to allow boards with scripts not designed by Heather would have to be voted on and approved by the board.

Cierra Theriac
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Cierra Theriac

Post by Cierra Theriac »

oh good gawd - so sorry about that. Sierra, Craig... Help!

Sierra Sugar
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Sierra Sugar »

Cierra, duplicate posts deleted. No worries.

And yes, at this time ONLY Heather scripted boards are allowed for competitions. Anyone caught surfing on a board not of regulation is automatically disqualified from the competition, no questions, no "second chances". Surfers need to be responsible for their own actions, that includes knowing which boards are legal and which are not. A set of rules, including the above comment you've copy/pasted has been sent out as notices and competition packages as well as posted here on the forums. And as always we encourage all surfers if they have any questions or doubt about what is/is not allowed to contact a director. After all, thats part of what we are here for.
**his kitty**

Schrottvogel Wei
SLSA Surfer

But how can newborn SL-surfer know this. She or he will be told by ACTION the boards are allowed and will buy one. Epsecialy the newones have not much money to buy a second board when they notice the ACTION board is not compedetive?
To me it seams like ACTION tell not only "bull" bout the board shapers in SL. They talk "bull" about SLSA when they say the SLSA allowed their boards.
SCHROTTVOGEL WEI

Sierra Sugar
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Sierra Sugar »

Vogel, while its an underhanded practice on Actions part there is not a whole lot we can do about it, particularly as an organization except to continue to openly support the Heather Goodliffe boards and waves. The one thing we can do about it is, instead of acting on the basal level of Action, we can all be above those practices by being fair, honest, and most of all helpful to newer surfers and educating those that my have been misinformed as we come across them. Positive reinforcement, as opposed to negative, is usually a much more effective tool. In the end i think we all realize what goes around comes around and karma eventually catches up with everyone.
**his kitty**

Christine Daffodil
SLSA Surfer

Be Careful Out There!

Post by Christine Daffodil »

Everyone needs to be cautious when it comes to purchasing surfboards they intend to use in competitions. There are some boards being sold out there that are rip-offs and do NOT have Heather Goodliffe as the board's creator, which makes them illegal in SLSA-sanctioned events. With the growing incidence of people copying other peoples' work and calling it their own, it is our responsibility as consumers to be on the alert.

It is my personal suggestion that everyone, newbie and experienced surfer alike, only purchase boards from REPUTABLE vendors. These would be people that have been around for a while, who have invested money and time in building their own shops/sims. If you buy a board from some guy lurking around the beach, don't be surprised if that board design was stolen and will not be usable in a comp. If you buy something from someone who has a history of ripping off other peoples' designs, odds are you are going to be ripped off too.

I don't want to leave anyone out, so I won't list the places I consider "safe" to buy from here. But if anyone needs a recommendation, please feel free to IM me inworld. :)

Schrottvogel Wei
SLSA Surfer

Maybe it would be good if the SLSA would make SLSA LEGAL sing. So even the newbies can see it at one look.
And maybe the SLSA should BLACKLIST shapers like ACTION that tell their boards are legal or shapers that definetly copy scripts.
SCHROTTVOGEL WEI

Radical Twang
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Radical Twang »

I agree with Schrott on this one, the rules need to be publicized a little more, none of the newcomers tend to know what the rules in place actually are, and some of the time, explaining them to people myself.

flynn_sheridan
SLSA Hall of Fame

Know your board

Post by flynn_sheridan »

I fully agree with many of the comments posted above, can only make one last point regarding SLSA. SLSA governs only SLSA sponsored surfing competitions and events. It does not try to impose its will on the SL surfing community.

As stated before SLSA only uses Heather Goodliffe scripts in boards and waves (at this time, and I see no reason that would change). Again, both Epic and non- epic scripts are legal during competitions. But if you read my post under General Discussions, it discusses what I see as the benefits of using epic and non-epic scripts, as well as which boards have which scripts. No, I don't list custom boards (there are over a dozen makers), just the vendors. If you want a custom board you know what you are doing and who you want making it.

Several weeks ago I placed a sign in my shop to help my customers choose a surfboard right for them, called "Know Your Board". I don't actually care if they buy a board from me or someone else (there is not a lot of money in it). What is important is that they understand what they are buying... so they have a great experience surfing in SL.

Schrottvogel Wei
SLSA Surfer

That was Rads and my Idea, to make a SLSA LEGAL sigan. But you can read the opinion of the SLSA here.
Kathy i make you an offer. As a SJA CUSOMBOARD VIP you can bring me this peace of real expensive firewood and i will make you a new customboard for the diference of the money you spend to the money my boards cost :)
SCHROTTVOGEL WEI

Ashleigh Dickins
SLSA Hall of Fame
SL Name: Ashleigh Dickins

Post by Ashleigh Dickins »

This thread has been locked for inactivity. Unless a written request to reopen the thread is received within 30 days it will be purged.
Basics: Clothing and More
Ronoc: 159, 148, 28