BOARD SIZES

This forum is for questions that individual members have regarding competitions sponsored by the SLSA. Ask away :)
Schrottvogel Wei
SLSA Surfer

BOARD SIZES

Post by Schrottvogel Wei »

K... i know i bug ya all with this but rules should be know by all not only by the SLSA Directors.
The mots of us hast bought their boards and dont need to care for this point. Bus some of us make boards by their own. And some like me even sell boards.
I would like to know the Maximum and Minimum size of a compedetive short and longboard. I need fact and datas not names.
And i would like to know what else makes a board legal to a offtial SLSA competition.

Thank to the SLSA

Schrottvogel Wei SJA Customboard Owner

Craig Stallion
SLSA Hall of Fame

Board Sizes

Post by Craig Stallion »

Hi there Schrottvogel! Glad to see you on the forum page and that is a GREAT question. I am actually sitting here measuring a board for you :). As many of you know, the SMALLEST size that is accepted for a long board competition is the Namiko size board. The Namiko boards measure 3.38 EXACTLY meters in length from tip to tip. Above that size is up to interpretation for long boards but I believe the standard SSi longboard is approximately 4.4 meters in length from tip to tip. Now for short boards, a short board is stated by us to be anything smaller than a Namiko board size. Big Dawg boards are the original creators of the short board along with Heather Goodliffe and are widely considered the smallest size for a short board. Big Dawg boards measure in at 2.25 meters in length from tip to tip. Therefore, the appropriate size for a short board is anything from 2.25 meters to 3.38 meters in length. The size for a long board is 3.38 meters to 4.4 meters. Hope that answers your question.
Last edited by Craig Stallion on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*~ In order to see change, we must be the change ~*~

Schrottvogel Wei
SLSA Surfer

Re: Board Sizes

okey.

The allowed boardsize for a competitive longboard is between 3.38m and 4.4m
The allowed boardsize for a competitive shortboard is between 2.25m and 3.38m

With these masses the invisible scripted coverings are meant and not meant the colored cores, right?

Schrottvogel SJA CUSTOMBOARD Owner

flynn_sheridan
SLSA Hall of Fame

Clarifications on board size

Post by flynn_sheridan »

This is a very good question... and I would like to chime in on it. For clarification board sizes can not equal the same and be in the same category. So I would say that we need to make a defined area that separates the two categories. I would propose that shortboards range from 1.5 meters to 2.5 meters (a 1.5 m board is about a 5 foot board and a 2.5 m board is about a 8 foot board). 8 foot is pushing a short board, but avis in SL are a bit taller than in RL.

Likewise, longboards could range from 3 meters to 4.5 meters (4.5 m is close to a 15 foot board).

Having a no build zone between longboards and shortboards would make identification far easier, and no one could claim that measurements are distorted.

But this is something that should be discussed and voted on by the SLSA board, with the input of the SLSA membership.

Schrottvogel Wei
SLSA Surfer

Re: Clarifications on board size

The idea is very good, but we should also Heather involved in these decisions.
She has her standards, and this should be as possible not change because of us . Besides there are, so far as I know, Board sizes where the script no longer works. But this should be discussed with Heather before her SLSA firmly establishes standards. Once the standarts are set you can make a certificate that say, boards are competetive for SLSA competitions.
The most of the surfers already have their boards and if you change the legal SLSA size can mean that they all have to buy new boards.

Good for me, bad for the SL surfcomunity :)

Schrottvogel

Sierra Sugar
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Sierra Sugar »

If we are taking in strictly "long" and "short" boards, classifying the Namiko hybrid size as a long board then say:

Shortboard = anything 2.5m and smaller
Longboard = anything 3.38m and longer

Those paramaters, Vogel, would include all of "Heather's" boards, anyone of us that make boards have her scripts in them, including the sculpties that have come out. I like the "bubble zone" between the two board distinctions as it does make it easier to differentiate between each size without question.

If there are boards with scripts that no longer work, they've not been updated with the Epic script or whatever, then it is up to the owner of the board to contact Heather to get it updated. Other than the original SSI boards, which are the original LONG boards, Heather has not made or set the size for any other board that i know of. The board sizes were created by each of us individually. i don't think involving Heather in this particular issue is necessary as she has much more pressing and important scripting matters to take care of. The competition board sizes is something that the slsa should decide on based on the members (surfers) input. Either way the size of the board is not going to adversely effect her sales or business, so why bother her with trival matters when she is so busy with scripting and helping all of the board makers keep their business going?

Point being, while the SLSA currently holds competitions on Heather Goodliffe boards/waves, that doesn't mean every minute detail of the competition decisions need to be run by her. She is the creator and brain child of the waves along with Sebastian, but the the SLSA was formed to specifically to handle these types of issues. They are for the voice of the surfers, and as such rules and decisions should be make on the activity of the surfing community they represent. I mean NO disrespect to Heather in any way, shape or form at all. Please don't take anything i say as such. But this is the Second Life Surfing Association, not the Heather Goodliffe Surfing Association. Lets let her concentrate on making new scripts for boards and waves for us to enjoy.
**his kitty**

Mick Lunasea
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: 0

Board Builders let's see what you've got

Post by Mick Lunasea »

It would be great if board builders uploaded pictures of their SLSA competition approved boards in the long and shortboard sizes. It would be cool to see all the boards in one place. I'm shopping for one and don't know what to get. Just my two L$ thought...

Schrottvogel Wei
SLSA Surfer

Boards

Heya MICK,
i think i talk for all board builders. You can have any board in any size. We are all able ot chage the shape of a board.
Its up to you how big you need it. But if ya wonna have a compedetive board you have to stay in the SLSA rulez :)

Shortboard = anything 2.50m and smaller
Longboard = anything 3.38m and longer

SCHROTTVOGEL WEI
SJA CUSTOMBOARDS & SURFWEAR

Craig Stallion
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Craig Stallion »

Just a small clarification. The board classifications have not changed from the previous year. The correct sizes are still as follows.

Shortboard: 2.25 meters (Big Dawg size) to 3.38 meters (Namiko Board size)
Longboard: 3.38 meters (Namiko size) to 4.41 meters (Full length SSi size)

We will however be asking shortly for the general memberships opinion about these measurements and perhaps will be redefining the classes. Until that time, the measurements are as posted above :).
~*~ In order to see change, we must be the change ~*~

Wilfrid DeCuir
SLSA Hall of Fame
SL Name: Wilfrid DeCuir

Post by Wilfrid DeCuir »

I won't go into to much of a lengthy discussion since I consider myself still to be a new surfer, (started in mid-October), but this is a great spot where I can put my two cents worth on two discussion Items I've read.

First is concerning board size, and from what I've read, I probably won't have any problems with the long boards based on what I have in my inventory. However, with the short boards, since I'm now considering competing, I went and got myself a short board, (Reaction Signature), before I knew the existence of this forum, and was under the impression that a short board only had to be smaller then so many metres without knowing that there was also a minimum set length... Hopefully this board is acceptable. (Guess I would need to rez and size a prim next to this board to see if it's valid...) If it's not, then I guess I'll have to go and spend more L's... Mind you, this board is so much fun, turns on a dime, and not a waste of money.

Secondly, regarding comp boards, since most of us now belong to what I call a "home surf group", and the owner of said group probably owns a surf sim and/or shop, and we probably have at least one of those boards that we are used to, then the comp board should be designed and scripted so that they work the same way as the board being sold on that sim for said group, thereby not having the problem of learning the beavior of the comp board 30 minutes before the comp starts and avoiding flunking out because of not being used to this board when you're rocking with your own fav board...

So there it is, my two cents worth... lol

Catch you all on the waves.

Thanks

Wil

Cierra Theriac
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Cierra Theriac

Post by Cierra Theriac »

Hey there Wilfrid :) Your Reaction board should be just fine. I know I love my Reaction shortie (Chickidee, of course). The boards we are buying from most surf shops (La Bahia, Quan Li, Chi, etc, etc...) have the boards that are scripted by Heather Goodliffe and designed to work on the waves we are using, also scripted by Heather Goodliffe.

To my knowledge, and I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong, she has 2 boards: Epic, and "regular". The Epics are designed for Epic waves (they are the ones that look more solid, we have "pipes" at La Bahia). But they more or less work the same, and work on both waves. If you are competing on Epic waves, it probably is best if you have an Epic board. I believe the word Epic should be in the description. If you are not sure which board you have, ask the seller, creator or Heather.

There are other board and wave scripters out there. I have never used either, so I can't comment on how they mix with Heather's things. Again, I am sure that someone will chime in. At this time, SLSA is only holding competitions on waves with Heathers scripts, and the comp boards (if they are used) will also have Heather's scripts. May change in the future, who knows.

Sorry, I just babbled on there, I do that sometimes. Bottom line is, your Reaction shortie is fine for a shortboard competition. (Also, I know the BigDawg/Misfit boards are the right length).

Add to my list you all!

Wilfrid DeCuir
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Wilfrid DeCuir »

Thanks Cierra. Yes indeed, all my boards except for the Nam Shaolin are epic boards. (Love the Nam on the fluffies...) I also surf a FAKT long board from VW Sands and the above mention Signature Shortie, and both work very well on epics and pipes. My other board is a SurfLine ohm and also works well on all waves. But the cam script on the ohm seems to be an older version and behaves more like the cam on the Nam. All and all, I consider Heather boards as the only real thing and everything else I've seen look more like toys... lol

All to say that I'm glad to hear that I won't have to buy another board because of regulations. But will continue in buying boards for the fun and love of SL surfing.

Sierra Sugar
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Sierra Sugar »

Unless i'm missing a board in my shop, all of the Reaction boards, no matter how short, are still longer than the Big Dawg Boards.

And currently only Heather scripted waves and boards are used in SLSA events. If you edit your board, no matter who the board designer is the "creator" should be listed as Sebastian Saramago or Heather Goodliffe. We as board designers don't have our name listed as creator, only our signature style. :)

Hope that helps everyone when shopping for competition boards.
**his kitty**

Cierra Theriac
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Cierra Theriac

Post by Cierra Theriac »

Thx Sierra - I haven't put the Big Dawg and the Reaction Side by side, so I didn't know exactly how they compared. I just know they are both okay lengths for a shortboard comp. :D

Schrottvogel Wei
SLSA Surfer

To all of ya :idea: ,
The name EPIC established itself as the SSI scripts, as they are called, came along with the EPIC waves on the market. In fact, but, as has already been noted, the long and short boards boards have the same SSI script.
The advantage of the LongBoards in the EPIC-Wave is really only in size. This makes the boart more stabilized if it slides form wave segmet to the next.
Shortboards have a advantage in the PIPE. Through their small size they are easier to turn so you can make faster turns in the shorter runs of a PIPE.

I tryed a lot aroud with board sizes for long and shortboards and made some experience with them. If someone is intressted in a board check befor the contest or in try out some board sizes, just give im a in game call or send ime a mail.
SCHROTTVOGEL WEI
SJA CUSTOMBOARDS & SURFWEAR

Radical Twang
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Radical Twang »

woo lots of posts since i've been gone.
Firstly, Wilfrid, you rock!

Secondly, all my Reaction boards are comp legal, it's one thing I had checked before finalising. Short boards are a little longer than Big Dawgs, and will always stay that length.

Hopefully i'll get new boards done soon, new shapes and lengths to suit more styles.

Wilfrid DeCuir
SLSA Hall of Fame

Post by Wilfrid DeCuir »

Thanks for the complement Rad. WOOT WOOT