Something to consider before next comp?

This forum is for questions that individual members have regarding competitions sponsored by the SLSA. Ask away :)
Cipriano Grut
SLSA Surfer

Something to consider before next comp?

Post by Cipriano Grut »

Hello, asking the board of directors to review, before Saturdays comp, the idea of considering for riders of each heat to be able to ride a wave and do a trick before the heat starts; this cause the fact that almost always when a riders does a trick for the first time riding a board, ends up flying or underwater. A useless wave for scoring, I might say. Would be great to do a party wave so everyone does a trick or two before the heat starts. ------thank you

Sally LaSalle
SL Name: Sally LaSalle

Post by Sally LaSalle »

Hi Cip and thanks for the suggestion sounds like fun! :), will run it passed the other directors, judges and marshalls to see if its ok, and let everyone know here.
☼☼☼☼☼☼
Sally LaSalle

Abel Halderman
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Abel Halderman

Post by Abel Halderman »

Ooo... first Cip's idea I really like. Sign me up for it! It will make the comp a lot longer thought, so not sure about it. I'm pretty sure there is a way to avoid orbiting without that additional wave.

Ashleigh Dickins
SLSA Hall of Fame
SL Name: Ashleigh Dickins

Post by Ashleigh Dickins »

It does sound like fun, but yeah, it would make it an awful lot longer (less so if it were a party wave). Plus I'm not entirely sure that the reason is accurate. I don't recall having a problem with the board on a first wave, usually my first wave is my best. It's after that when I get useless out there, lol.

Also, the judges drop the lowest scored wave anyway don't they Sally? So if your first wave is affected by some sort of first trick hijinx and is the lowest scored wave it wouldn't count anyway, but if it isn't and you have a problem later it could save you.

Definately something to ponder over. Any other members wanna weigh in on this one?
Basics: Clothing and More
Ronoc: 159, 148, 28

Sally LaSalle
SL Name: Sally LaSalle

Post by Sally LaSalle »

Yep your two best waves are used for your score and we will be extending the "3 waves each" rule to the prelims.
Mayhaps to Cips suggestion ... all the riders have a party wave after they have been marshalled, and while the judges are getting ready. Sometime there are times when the surfers have to just sit and wait in a bunch.
☼☼☼☼☼☼
Sally LaSalle

Ashleigh Dickins
SLSA Hall of Fame

I thought I was the only person who says Mayhaps...

We could always trial the party wave idea and see how it works out. Definately something for us directors to discuss and let you lot know asap =)

Colleen Brennan
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: Colleen Brennan

Post by Colleen Brennan »

Sally, if the judges don't have a problem with it then I would be OK with it. it could happen during down time. It is worth considering. Maybe test it.

Cipriano Grut
SLSA Surfer

Post by Cipriano Grut »

Thank you much for prompt response, Sally. Want to let you know that maybe would be good to have an idea if this kind of orbiting issue when doing a first trick, is a generalized one, or something that happens only to me and a few surfers; this before thinking of implementing what I suggested. Its also important to be aware that a party wave before a heat (and surfers back at marshaling point) will take only 1.30 minutes, multiplied by the number of heats, including finals and semifinals is not a time issue at all. Thank you again Sally. Cheers!

Abel Halderman
SLSA Surfer

Post by Abel Halderman »

That doesn't sound bad, Cip. Just one general thing: for us, European surfers, the competition ends at about 3-4 am, not at 7pm as for you.

Abel Halderman
SLSA Surfer

Post by Abel Halderman »

It's honestly hard to think, not to mention surf at that time.

Ashleigh Dickins
SLSA Hall of Fame

The directors have voted on trialing a party wave before heats.

Wilfrid DeCuir
SLSA Hall of Fame
SL Name: Wilfrid DeCuir

Post by Wilfrid DeCuir »

Note that there is also a certain trick key you can hit as soon as you sit on your board to avoid this from happening on your first wave.
Crazy Canuck Hippie Surfer

VW Sands
SLSA Surfer
SL Name: VW Sands

Board de-bugging

Post by VW Sands »

A quick flip on an incoming wave during the paddle out is all thats needed to de-bug our boards. Would add no time at all to the comp :-)

A NASA flight or Pile-driver on the first scoring wave is a bummer.

Cheers and good luck everyone on Saturday!

/V
"Paddle or die"
Ancient North Shore saying

Bobbi Laval
SLSA Surfer

yes

Post by Bobbi Laval »

Yeah the flying off into space thing is a drag. It has happened to me before, but not every single time. I think it really may be a computer issue for some. Seems to happen right after clearing cache. But VW is right, when paddling out only have to catch corner of wave and do a flip and problem solved. Party wave I don't think would cause much extra if any time. Seems there is usually just a bit of down time when judges are getting ready. Or if like if VW suggests, we can catch part of a wave on paddle out.